Search This Blog

Monday 11 July 2011

HPD officer paralyzed in crash makes miraculous recovery at TIRR

HOUSTON—Walking is something one Houston police officer will never take for granted, after surviving an accident that left him temporarily paralyzed from the neck down. 

Now that same man is set to walk out of the rehabilitation center that’s been nursing him back to health, and begin reclaiming his old life as a cop.

"I just thank God that I’m alive," said Officer Jason Roy, a 5-year veteran of the Houston Police Department. 

Roy was seriously injured when his squad car flipped during a high-speed chase on May 3, 2011.

"I remember thinking to myself, ‘When is the car going to stop flipping?’ Then I started to pray to God, and I asked him to forgive me of my sins," Roy recalled.

Major surgery followed, along with weeks of recovery at TIRR. 

His progress has been so dramatic that even some experts are surprised. 

"He just doesn’t give up and he pushes himself," said physical therapist Erin Edenfield. "He’s taught me a lesson about human perseverance."

"Now I can walk, and I have range of motion in my arms," said Roy. "It wouldn’t be possible without God."

Roy was actually at TIRR once before, as a teenager following a bad traffic accident. 

He could leave as early as this week, and said he looks forward to rejoining his colleagues on the force. 

"I can’t wait to get back to the streets," Roy said.

No comments:

Post a Comment